1. Australian Foreign Minister has issued a statement on the situation in
Ukraine. MPs have said to Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations
(AFUO) that they have heard from their Australian and Ukrainian Australian
constituents on this matter. Thank you to those community members keeping
their local Federal MPs informed.
2. The Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade has informed AFUO that the
Australian Ambassador to the Organisation of Security & Cooperation in
Europe (OSCE) issued a statement at last week’s Ministerial Council “urging
the Ukrainian Government and Parliament to listen to the voices and
aspirations of the Ukrainian people” as well as deploring the use of police
violence as “disproportionate, excessive and unjustified”.
3. The Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade has informed AFUO that the
Australian Ambassador with responsibility for Ukraine (based in Warsaw) will
travel to Ukraine next week.
AFUO President Stefan Romaniw OAM, is returning to Kyiv, and will meet with
the Ambassador .
The Ambassador and Mr Romaniw have now been in contact and will set and
agenda in Kyiv on Monday
4. The AFUO welcomes these actions by the Australian Government, and calls
on it to do more to stem violence against peaceful protestors, and align
with allies, including the consideration of sanctions against President
5. Rallies in Support of Maidan – Kyiv Vstavaj – Avstralijia
Ukrainian Embassy in Canberra Saturday 14 December 11.00am
Meeting 10.30am Ukrainian Orthodox Centre
Melbourne Sunday – City Square 2.00pm
AFUO Public Affairs Directorate
December 13, 2013″